How We Enhance Comfort For Every Dental Visit.
posted: August 22, 2018
The health and appearance of your smile depends on a daily commitment of thorough at-home care. It also depends on regular involvement with your general dentist.
These visits are designed to remove plaque and tartar buildup that has accumulated between visits and catch problems at early stages. The appointments are spaced at 6-month intervals to keep you in a better position to maintain healthy gums and teeth.
Not many people look forward to a dental cleaning or exam, although we actually have some who tell us they DO look forward to their oral hygiene visits. They enjoy seeing long-time staff members whom they’ve grown close to. Primarily, though, they like the clean feeling and bright smile they get from these twice-a-year visits.
I understand people who don’t look forward to dental check ups, however. I feel the same way about my ophthalmologist. I know I need an annual eye exam and like the doctor and staff very much. But, the process isn’t something I deem pleasant, even though I appreciate its importance.
One of the reasons many of our patients are such long-time patients is because they trust us. They know we will never over-treat or under-treat, recommend treatment according to their specific needs, respect their preferences, and make their comfort a high priority at every visit.
Comfort is a big deal when it comes to dentistry. There are many individuals who avoid dental care altogether because they have such intense dread or fear associated with these visits. Dental fear or anxiety is said to affect over 70 percent of the American adult population.
To lessen the worries of anxiety or fear of being in pain, we have taken a number of measures. We pride ourselves on having a relationship of trust with our patients — they trust us to keep them comfortable and minimize the potential for discomfort. Yet, we know that comes with time. New patients simply don’t walk in and perceive that; they need to experience it to just know it’s part of our commitment to care.
Below are just a few of the ways my team and I optimize your comfort in our Summerville dental office:
- Oral & I.V. Sedation – For many years, I offered oral sedation to help anxious and fearful patients relax. In pill form, this provide a very drowsy state and typically erases most (if not all) memory of the procedure afterwards. However, some people with deeper levels of dental fear need IV sedation. This sedative, also known as twilight sleep, provides a sleep state that some people prefer. I became Certified to provide IV sedation and also have specially trained staff members who use advanced safety equipment to oversee sedated patients throughout treatment.
- Advanced Technology – Over the years, I’ve incorporated many advanced features into our office. Each is selected for its ability to provide optimal results while helping to minimize treatment time. Most also enhance patient comfort. For example, our Cordless Drills make a gentle whirring sound rather than a high-pitched whine. Our CEREC 3D technology creates crowns and bridges in a single appointment, reducing numbing requirements by half. Our dental laser reduces bleeding, speeds healing time, and provides a more comfortable process for procedures involving gum tissues.
- Modern Treatment Chairs – Some people are fine until they are reclined in a dental chair. Then, once on his/her back on a narrow surface with an open mouth full of tender tissues, it makes perfect sense that some uneasiness can result for those already anxious or fearful. For procedures that require an hour or more, we know the surface under you plays a big part in whether you relax or begin to get antsy. The treatment chairs we’ve selected are ergonomically designed to provide a comfortable fit and cozy support.
- Special Features – We have found that some people do better when they are distracted from what’s taking place in their mouths. Our patients know they can watch a video, listen to music, avoid bright lights under darkened ‘shades,’ and relax under a warm blanket. Dentistry? What dentistry?!!!
- Pacing Treatment Appropriately – One of the secrets to giving a ‘pain-less’ injection is going slow. By administering the medication at a slow pace, our patients often say they feel “nothing.” We also provide topical numbing to the area prior to injections. Too, some high-fear patients are more relaxed going through treatment in small stages. We respect that. Once these patients realize they can trust us to protect their comfort at every visit, moving forward at a faster pace can be arranged.
- Good Communication – Sometimes, it’s the NOT knowing part that provokes the most fear. We have found that keeping patients informed of what is being done throughout the procedure helps. For others, they prefer the distraction of a movie or music. Our goal is to nurture the unique needs of each patient so they are more relaxed throughout their care.
- Complete Care – Patients like that they can have all their dental needs tended to in one, convenient, comfortable location. Whether you need regular cleanings, cosmetic dentistry, dental implants, treatment for gum disease, a stop-snoring sleep appliance, or crown & bridge, we make all services available for all ages.
For adults who have fear, anxiety, or even dental phobia, we have been able to help the majority to achieve a healthy, appealing smile while being relaxed and comfortable. Here, we know you can learn to dread less and smile more!
Consider starting with a no-charge consultation appointment. During this time, we will discuss your concerns, make recommendations for your specific needs and goals, and give you a firsthand look at the exceptional Summerville SC environment we offer for your very best smile.
While you’re here, we can also have our Administrative Manager discuss easy payment plans and review insurance coverages, if desired.
To schedule, call 843-871-6351 or tap here to begin.